Monday, February 10, 2014

Fw: Every Day I'm Shovelin'

 
 
 
Helloooo and Happy Valentines, everyone!
 
Also, Happy Birthday, Dad!!! You thought I'd forget, didn't you? :P
 
Aaand before I'm a silly-face and forget to send you my address again, here it is!
 
Sister Richelle Jones
630 31 Rd.
Grand Junction, CO 81504
 
Alrighty then. On to the emailing part. So it snowed again early in the week. We got a ton of snow, this really heavy stuff that packed like crazy. We were fortunate, though, since the temperature didn't drop too low like when it snowed in December. It's actually stayed decently above zero degrees, and has averaged closer to 30, which is sweet relief compared to the cold wave we got earlier this year. But it did mean that we got a ton of snow. We got in some wonderful service activities of seeing people shoveling snow, getting out, and helping them shovel. It was quite the workout since we did five or more driveways in only a few hours.
 
The snow hasn't been that bad since then, mostly we've been getting sleet and some rain. But the workout didn't end there. We ran plum out of miles in our car! We are allotted a certain number of miles every week, and last week we went over our mileage limit, so we got docked some this week. Then, to avoid going over again, we walked. A lot. And at the end of the week, we were only 3 miles away from our limit. So the first day we walked, we were out walking for about five hours, and I was in my snow boots which aren't really broken in just yet. When we stopped by home to grab the car, I took off my boots and found that the heel of my left sock was soaked in blood. >.< ow. The next day, we had to walk in the rain. I loved it, it reminded me a lot of home, and I was just grinning the whole time soaking in the beautiful rain. My companions, however, were not nearly as happy. Sister Hancock is from Texas, and she's not used to cold rain. It was kind of amusing to watch, actually. It's reassurance that I am a true Washingtonian, no umbrella, no hood, walking in the cold rain with a big smile on my face.
 
Other than that, this week was ratherly uneventful. We had a ton of appointments every day this week, and all but two of them fell through. That's the life of a missionary, I guess, but it was still quite frustrating.
 
So last Monday, Sister Cope was checking the phone to see if anyone had texted us when suddenly she gasps and starts saying, "OHMYGOODNESS," again and again. So we were super worried, wondering what had happened, it was like 8:50 pm so we had gone home already, and suddenly she's like, "We have to get in the car NOW. Someone bought us In-N-Out!" XD We thought it was this big deal, but someone had been to Utah and knew that Sister Cope's favorite restaurant is In-N-Out, so they grabbed us some burgers while they were in Utah. Sister Cope considered it an emergency and rushed over to grab it before it hit 9:00. It was pretty funny, especially since she insisted on taking pictures with her burger and the In-N-Out bag.
 
Another funny story: one of the dreaded lessons to teach is the Chastity lesson since that one tends to get really awkward really fast. So we have one person who should be getting baptized by the end of this transfer who was on the chastity lesson. We went in, and she had brought a friend with her to the lesson. I was supposed to be starting the lesson off, so I was like, "Uhhhhhh...." but felt that I needed to just move forward with the lesson anyway. And get this! The spirit was there so strongly that even with the chastity lesson, the friend started crying and set up a return appointment for us to come back! I was SHOCKED! So that's the miracle of the week. I just thought it was also highly amusing.
 
Anyhoo, I think that covers this week. I'm still really sore from all that shoveling and walking, but it means I'll be all strong and buff and stuff later. :P
 
~Sister Richelle Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment