Monday, December 9, 2013

Fw: Snow Angels

 
 
Greetings!
 
Winter seems to have settled in to stay. We got a bad snow storm on Wednesday (The schools canceled which doesn't happen very often down here apparently) but the missionary work trudged on. It was a good thing I got those boots when I did, but even with them, my feet have been freezing. The below-zero temperatures don't really help. (It's currently -3 degrees outside right now...) The Fruita and Grand Junction area is supposedly the warmest place in the mission with the least amount of snow. And certainly, it held out longer than Eagle did. But even still, it's really really cold.
 
It's only been a week and I'm already quite sick of it. It's apparently one of the coldest winters they've had since Fruita usually doesn't get snow this early in the year, but the snow we have isn't supposed to melt till late February, so I'm just going to have to get used to it. It's funny, after the snow storm, they were pretty good about plowing most of the streets, but then it snowed again Friday night and they never bothered to plow any of the roads from that. The roads are pretty slick and it's been an interesting experience driving in it, but I think I'm getting used to slipping and sliding on the ice. Definitely all those times that Dad forced me to go out and drive in the snow to get the experience has helped, otherwise I might have freaked out by now.
 
I have discovered that one of the most amusing things to do is break off the gigantic icicles that are almost big enough to create spears out of and javelin throw it against the ground and watch it shatter into a thousand pieces. SO much fun.
 
I have to admit, I'm not a fan of the cold. I never have been. I suppose it was a tender mercy that I was removed from the mountains before the winter or else I would probably refuse to go outside. It's COLD. I kinda feel sorry for all the cows that have to stay outside in the freezing cold.
 
So this morning, one of the members took us up to the Grand Junction Monument, which is the giant Grand-Canyon-like rock formation on the south side of Fruita, so I got lots of pretty neat pictures.
 
Also, I got to sing in the Ward Christmas Party last Friday. I'm getting more confident standing up in front of a bunch of people and singing. It's still not my forte by any means, but my voice doesn't shake so bad anymore.
 
Anyhoo, I think that's pretty much it for this week. It's cold. Really cold.
 
~Sister Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment