Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Fw: Out in the field! Literally!

 
 
 
 
Dear family and stuff,
 
Hello! Guess what? I'm a missionary! I'm still in that stage of, "I have no idea what I'm doing!" It's like the MTC prepared me quite a bit, but no amount of preparation could truly prepare you for the actual field. So on the day we got told where we were going, I was crossing my fingers going, "Please don't get sent to the middle of nowhere. Please don't get sent to the middle of nowhere."
 
Guess where I got sent. Yup. Middle of nowhere. It's a little town called Gypsum in the Eagle Valley. The area covers both Gypsum and Eagle, but they're both smaller than Rexburg. I think. We're about a 20 minute drive from No Name, Colorado. You think I'm joking. Look it up. I will admit, though, that the area is gorgeous. It's right in the mountains, and the Glenwood Canyons that we drive through every district meeting is simply awe-inspiring. I would send you pictures, but these computers are so old they don't take SD cards, so I have to find a converter at Walmart. Either that or you can send me my camera cord. That would be nice.
 
Anyway, so my new companion is Sister Pfeifer. I had a bit of troubles getting used to her at first. She's... Different. One of the elders described her (before I met her) as, "AAAAAAAAAHHHH" I find that description to be fairly accurate. She's a ball of energy, likes to wake up at the crack of dawn to go running, is more than a little on the tone-deaf side but still sings her heart out. It's taken a while to adjust to her. But all is good.
 
We haven't had any fantastic displays of spirituality just yet, but that will come, and I can still see the Lord in my life guiding me. We've mostly been visiting members and non-members since we don't have any investigators yet. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this is a new area we're opening? Yeah. It's a bit different than what I was expecting.It was technically open before, but only to spanish-speaking elders. So we're opening the area to english speaking and to sisters. So we kind of have to start from scratch since we can't exactly take on the spanish investigators.
 
We've been staying with the Bishop's family. Guess what two animals they raise on their farm? Darcy will love this. Birds and sheep. MmmHmm. Bishop Mayne has just recently started the hobby of raising racing pidgeons. And the sheep are pretty quiet most of the time, but just occasionally they all start up at once, "Baaa BAaaa BAAAA baaa bAaa," but we aren't home most of the time anyway since we're usually out and about visiting people. They also have a pet Parrot, Gus. He can say, "Hello, Gus!" "Hi!" "Hello, pretty bird!" "Alright," "Ok," "Good Morning," "Night night," and a number of other phrases, though his favorite thing to do is to just whistle at you. Sister Mayne reminds me a lot of Sister Grubbs, which I find both strangely ironic and comforting.
 
Anyway, this has been a fun little adventure I've had. I'm sorry to hear about Uncle James and Aunt Cherryl. I hope they get better soon! I love you all and I'll keep you in my prayers!
 
~Sister Richelle Nicole Jones
 
P.S. Oh, yeah. I need to send you my address. It is as follows:
 
Sister Richelle Jones
912 Mayne St.
Gypsum, CO
 
P.P.S. So the mission rules are pretty lenient on music. I can listen to anything uplifting or spiritual, or anything orchestrated. It's up to your discretion. So I would love some CD's. If you could put together some of the band songs David has on his computer, I would love that, and I would like some Janice Kapp Perry stuff, maybe some Enya. I think David has a lot of CDs and stuff he used on his mission. If you could send that, it would be greatly appreciated.
 
P.P.P.S. Random note, Bishop and Sister Mayne were the ones who donated their ranch to build the church on it, so not only do we live right next to the church, the street name is also Mayne Street. I thought that was a cool tidbit of information. Anyway, for Realz now. I'm done.




No comments:

Post a Comment