Monday, July 22, 2013

Fw: Judea's plain

It's been a month since I've been home.
 
Crazy, right?
 
I thought so.
 
Anyway, so last Monday evening, I finally got the package you guys sent. It made me very happy. I was kinda sad that I didn't get any CD's, but you got my camera cord, so that's good. I loved all the letters I got! It made me feel better, especially since I got almost nothing else for the day.
 
I was a silly-face and didn't grab my camera cord before going to the church to do email stuff, so I'm going to try to do that a little bit later. Colorado is really pretty, and I think it's funny that I get some of my most gorgeous pictures when we've been unfruitful in our finding. For instance, we were following an address that we plunked into our GPS, and apparently, that member lived far far away in Judea's plains (we've been singing that a lot any time we find that a person's address leads us off in the middle of nowhere which is pretty common considering we're living in the middle of farmland) and when we got there, the people we were trying to visit were apparently getting married, so we didn't feel like crashing the wedding (we thought about it, though) and so we were out in the middle of nowhere, but the view was amazing looking over the fields and mountains and stuff. So, hey, I got a neat picture. And that seems to happen most times we can't find a member's house (because the area book is wrong and has addresses that don't even exist and confuse our poor little GPS) or when no one is home. Usually I get a good view out of it.
 
The storms here have been pretty cool to watch. We get lightning storms almost every afternoon, but you know what's funny? The Native American term for the town of Gypsum is "The hole in the sky" because it's set in the valley in such a way that the air currents actually move around Gypsum. So basically, we get lots of storms, but not a one of them actually hit Gypsum. They move around Gypsum. So we get a nice light show in the mountains, lots of thunder. I've only been in the middle of a storm once so far, and that was because we were in Eagle for the day. We were thinking about going out to walk since we were low on miles, and right then, KRACKABOOM!!! And then it was pouring. Bahahah. It was fun, though.
 
So next week for P Day, Sister Pfeifer and I are planning on hiking up to hanging lake. When I was in the mission home my first day out here, they were showing us some of the spots in the mission that were basically the prettiest spots and hanging lake was one of them. I saw the picture they showed and was like, "Oh man, I want to go there during my mission," but then they mentioned that the area with hanging lake was a spanish-speaking only area. Well, guess what area Sister Pfeifer and I opened to the english speaking mission... So hanging lake is in between Gypsum and Glenwood springs in the Glenwood canyon just before you reach No Name. I'm excited to take lots of pictures, not so excited for the hike up to it, but hey. It'll be cool, and Sister Pfeifer has enough energy to probably pick me up and run me to the top if I get tired.
 
Anyway, that's all I've got for this week, other than the fact that Gus the parrot is amusing and tries to bite my companion every time she walks by and it freaks her out and it's really funny. Gus likes me just fine (probably because I fed him a cheeto) but he cannot stand Sister Pfeifer. Heheheh.
 
See you all next week!
 
~Sister Richelle Nicole Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment